Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Technique of the week - Resist embossing and markers with embossing powders

I last talked about wet embossing as a technique.  Close To My Heart has: Ranger Princess Gold, Ranger Silver Super Fine, Ranger White Super Fine and Ranger Clear Super Fine.  After you have used other embossing powders, you will appreciate the 'super fine" as it brings out more detail of the stamp.  You are not limited to these colors - although it is nice to have the matching Gold and Silver Shimmer Trim to accent the card or page.  Know that any of the pigment ink - all the colors - will show through when you use the Clear embossing powder. 

That is where today's technique comes in.  Using the Clear VersaMark pad, stamp the image on the page.  Use the clear embossing powder.  You can see when the "dust" of the powder turns to the shiny embossing feature as you heat set it.  Close To My Heart has 3" sponges.  You can cut them in 4ths to use for distressing the edge of paper as well as inking and going over the clear embossed feature.



CTMH used to carry Silver Pearl.  That is what I used in these cards.  I didn't get the clear because I had a large ultra thick clear embossing enamel but there was no detail in this stamp with its use.  On 2 of the cards I used the cloud stamp as well as the light house.  I used 3 blues - Pacifica, Lagoon and Crystal Blue.  I daubed the sponge in the ink pad, holding the sponge as a small bunched tip and then in circular motions colored the light on top, the medium in the middle and the dark on the bottom. 

Resit looks neater with white on Daisy White or clear on Daisy White/ Colonial White. You an use what ever color inks match the paper you are using.  The image doesn't appear until you put the ink on it. 



I also used this technique on these 4 cards.  The first and the last are using the ShinHan markers to color the image and the ink on the sponge to fill in the background.  The second and third are sponge over the embossed images.

I like to use the markers with the embossing powder.  You can 'color' in the lines and it leaves a crisp edge.  When you color, you can also use the black pigment ink and clear embossing powder for "black" outlines of the stamps.  When I get going using embossing powders I begin to see so many stamp sets in a new way.  It opens the doors to using a stamp that you didn't see as possibilities any more.  Try different ways of doing wet embossing.  It will bring new ideas of how to use all your stamp sets.


No comments:

Post a Comment