Monday, April 6, 2015

Technique of the week - getting designs

Where do you get your ideas to make things?  You can shop on my website to get Workshop on the Go's.  These are Close To My Heart kits that give you the paper, stamp, directions and "bling" to make pages or cards.  You can get the How To Program books.  Here you have the directions for pages or cards.  You can take what ever paper and bling you have and put things together.   It shows a basic design and then some variations that you can do. 

You can of course do what people call "scrap-lift" and get ideas from the Idea books or other websites.  You can also just use your imagination!   I decided rather than do a few designs for the vendor fair, to try and do as many designs as I could with the paper. 

I tried making some of the cards from the Artfully Sent Cricut collection.
I had the Confetti Wishes paper.  It was fun to see how different the paper looks with different designs.  After doing some of the Cricut cards, I tried doing some different designs with the same paper with stamps. 
I also tried to use the same design with different paper for the theme of Father's day. 
I did wet embossing on the typewriter and just regular ink on the other cards.  Some of the stamp sets I used were new and some were old.  You can find the new products on the website.  The new stamp sets are all together.  You will always be able to buy those stamps that match with the Cricut cartridges. The older products can be found at While Supplies Last.   Remember that for the month of April, the Deal of the Day will give you new and old products in a grab bag.  The offer changes every day at 3pm. 

Challenge yourself by getting out certain paper or a certain stamp or a certain design and see where it leads you.  Look through some old Idea books. I used to keep the old cards I had made.  I used these for ideas on new designs but have instead started taking photos of the cards and keeping the photos on file.  I also have made sketches on graph paper and keep them in a notebook.  I look through some of my old Workshop on the Go's and How To Programs and have fun coming up with new ideas.  There are many places to look for designs.  You need to develop a system so when you are going to do a project, you will have some place to go to get ideas.  If you don't, you will spend most of your time thinking up ideas instead of working on projects.  It is good to always look for designs as you don't know when an idea will hit you!  Happy scrapping!



No comments:

Post a Comment